- “Retrieving that passion is the only way I could ever hope to accomplish any of those goals I laid out. You can’t MAKE yourself feel it. All you can do is keep your heart open to it returning. Do nothing to prevent it.” – excerpt from Lauren Fleshman’s eloquent and beautifully written post The Fire Still Burns. If you’re stuck in a rut or craving the return of your itch to compete, read it. It’s perfect.
- “Look for meaning, because meaning endures — it touches us and those around us, and it gives us purpose. And it’s usually right in front of our face, we just have to grab hold.” – via Laura Schwecherl in On Meaning. Read it if you’re interested in a very intuitive take on the phrase “Do what you love.”
- This epic window display at my local running store. It makes me want to buy ALL of the shoes…seriously. The best part? The box reads, “Caution. Contents inside are very fast.” Bonus points to whoever created it!
- Our Gear Guy’s explanation for the Empire State Building Run-Up:
— Megan Hetzel (@megrunnergirl) February 4, 2013
(It’s okay, it doesn’t makes sense to me either!)
- My coworkers and I had our own version of the Empire State Building Run-Up at Runner’s World HQ. It produced this hysterical pre-race photo and this video. Both races made my lungs BURN! Read my #RWRunUp/#ESBRU race recaps here.
- Wednesday was National Women & Girls in Sport Day! How freakin’ cool?!? I made a Storify with some of the best tweets from the day. Check it out here.
- Sometimes we get so caught up in worrying about a particular race or hitting a PR that we forget why we love to run. In Ann’s post Come On, Let’s Play, the soon-to-be triathlete realized that we’re playing each time we go for a run or race. (Thanks @theirishrunner for sharing this inspiring post!)
- I need this shirt – talk about a runner/social media person’s mantra! Via @
SMACKELI @ SBSOnTheRun @ dimityontherun
- There is such a thing as a PURPLE track! It exists at the University of Washington, and I want to run on it now. (My high school’s colors were purple and silver, and we always dreamed of having a purple track to match. Now we know it is possible! Heck yes!)
- “25 Things You Don’t Have To Justify To Anyone” via Thought Catalogue – Yes, I know it’s not running related, but it’s definitely worth a read. Lots of good things to remind yourself of often!
QUOTE OF THE POST: “Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” – William Faulkner
Read my other Friday Faves posts here.