Here are the top 10 coolest running things I stumbled upon this month:
1. I love this, especially because I’m a week away from my one-year marathon anniversary!
2. Shared by my girl Jenny, we’ve all decided this needs to be turned into an alarm tone.
3. My roomie Kelsey DOMINATED her very first half-marathon in Philly! Couldn’t be more proud of her!
4. Oiselle rocked the RUNway at New York Fashion Week. Could not get enough of seeing real, strong ladies working that catwalk in clothes that, well…basically, I want it all. (Click the link for more photos! // Photo by Arthur Mandel Nolcha.)5. Yogi-runner goddess and friend of mine Rebecca Pacheco debuted her first yoga class for runners video for Runner’s World. It’s perfect for all levels of runners and new/old yogis alike. (Not to mention it means I can “take” Rebecca’s class without having to drive up to Boston!) Try it out!6. My co-worker Mark Remy, who decided to come out of marathon retirement to try to BQ for 2014, qualified and GOT IN! I trained with him on and off this cycle, and I could see how much he wanted to run Boston next year. I couldn’t be more thrilled and relieved for him. As for his reaction on social media? “WOO HOO!”
7. Marathon Survival Strategies, including: “Do not, under any circumstances, think, ‘Where, for the love of god, is the 2-mile mark?'” // This is hysterical and totally worth a read.
8. I cannot get enough of this.
9. A photo of RW Gear Guy’s daughter aka “Gear Baby,” who has already figured out how to use the stick. Adorable.
10. My youngest brother has started running cross-country for his middle school team. And get this, he’s only 13 and has already figured out how to run for fun without getting bogged down by his brain. Totally jealous. I hope he continues to run just for the enjoyment of it; that’s the way it should be. Love that kid way too much. What are your favorite things from the month of September? Share ’em with me in the comments below!
QUOTE OF THE POST: “Passion is pushing myself when there is no one else around – just me and the road.” – Ryan Shay
“These are a few of my favorite things…“ from this week:
- Beyond adorable and spot on via @FitHappyGirl. Which reminded me of this gem that is the definition of a few of my summer runs:
- Took the words right out of my mouth:
- Lauren had her baby this week!!! Some people might care more about Kate Middleton’s baby, but RUNNERS care about Lo’s cutie pie, Jude: Congrats Lo and Jesse! Couldn’t be happier for ya!
- There are few things we at RW care more about than running shoes and beer, which led to this tweet after our summer beer-tasting last week:
- The fact that I kept up the #RWRunStreak by logging a mile in my apartment’s parking garage yesterday morning to avoid getting struck by lightning. Hells yes. Day 18!
- We saw Spirit of the Marathon II on Wednesday! It was freakin’ awesome and basically, I need to run with those Italian cousins (and also just run in Rome in general). Kudos Jon!
- Finally, I added a few photos to my About Me page from way back when. Check it out! =)
QUOTE OF THE POST: “Running is in my blood — the adrenaline flows before the races, the love/hate of butterflies in your stomach.” – Marcus O’Sullivan
Can’t believe it’s ALREADY Friday again! Here’s this week’s “Friday Faves” list:
- I’ve been plagued by the marathon taper crazies this week i.e. My brain has been buzzing with thoughts like: Why do my shins/heels/knees hurt? Why do I still feel sick? Why have I felt like absolute CRAP this whole week? Buhhhh! But, the insanity has produced some wonderfully appropriate tweets:
- On confidence, which happens to be my Sisters in Sport April goal of the month (more on that hopefully this weekend! Stay tuned!):
- 5 Faces of Pain via Oiselle. Favorite line? “Don’t eat a chili cheese dog from 7/11 for breakfast.” Do yourself a favor and watch this, now:
- My latest Runner’s World “Social Studies” post, which includes this madness:
- Our RW Newswire editor’s Boston Marathon coverage plan, seriously:
- And because we’re only NINE days away from Boston, here’s a chills-inducing post from @
paceofme on prepping for April 15.
QUOTE OF THE POST: “So I went for a run. And things got better.” – Mark Remy (Read the rest here.)
Sorry everyone, this is a day late! (Crazy busy day at work yesterday, but I digress…Better late, than never!) Here are a few things that got me excited this week:
QUOTE OF THE POST: “Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” – John D. Rockefeller
In no particular order of importance (or on any scale whatsoever), here’s this week’s Friday Faves…just a teeny tiny bit late:
QUOTE OF THE POST: “I love this time of spring. It’s starting to get warm, the end of training is in sight (or at least the taper is), and I can practically smell the vaseline Boston feels so close. I’m so excited for you. There is nothing like the first Boston! It’s so much fun! We’re going to have a great time.” – in an email from my coworker, gazillion-time marathoner, and RW Challenge coach extraordinaire, Jen Van Allen
For this edition of “Friday Faves,” I pulled a few of my “favorited” tweets from this week:
QUOTE OF THE POST: “For me, running is a lifestyle and an art. I’m far more interested in the magic of it than the mechanics.” – Lorraine Moller
This week was chock-full of motivational, inspirational, hysterical, (am I missing any other words that end in -al?) graphics and photos. Here are my favorites:
QUOTE OF THE POST: “I learned, one, you shouldn’t ever quit. And I learned, two, you’ll never be able to explain it to anybody.” – Jim Ryun
Read my other Friday Faves posts here.